Versatile, tangy, and quick to prepare, cream cheese frosting has a soft consistency that's ideal for swirling or swooping. It's the classic choice for topping many cupcakes, including carrot, red velvet, zucchini-spice, and applesauce-spice.
- Yield Makes 4 cups
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Beat butter and cream cheese with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, and then vanilla; mix until smooth.