23 gennaio 2013
Mandarin Pudding Cake
For cake base
1 thin sheet vanilla sponge cake
300 gm milk
100 gm sugar
2½ teaspoons agar-agar powder
300 gm mandarin juice
1 orange zest, grated
20 gm custard powder
2 egg yolks
⅛ teaspoon orange food colouring
1 tablespoon butter
1. Cut the vanilla sponge cake to fit the top of the mould.
2. To make the pudding, pour the milk into a heavy-based saucepan, sprinkle over the agar-agar powder and sugar, then heat, stirring the mixture all the time, until boiling and thickened.
3. Remove the pan from the heat; beat in the mandarin juice and orange zest, egg yolks and custard powder.
4. Beat butter and food colouring until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the milk mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared mould.
6. Place the cake sheet over the pudding to cover the top, leave to cool.
7. When the pudding is cold, chill until set.
8. When ready to serve, unmould the pudding cake, pipe the whipped cream over the cake.
9. Decorate with chocolate.
You may use orange juice instead of mandarin juice.
**From “Fruity Cakes”**