Deliciously Dairy-Free Caramel. Usually caramel sauce is loaded with butter, cream, milk and more. But it’s very easy to cut back on the saturated fat in your caramel sauce simply by subbing in plant-based, dairy-free ingredients. You’ll be treating your family to a healthier dessert, while keeping all of that sweet caramel flavor.
Or you can use traditional ingredients if you’d prefer!
I drizzled this sauce over a peanut butter cake and it was ah-mazing!! So many uses for homemade caramel sauce. Especially when it has a chocolate edge.
Texture Tip! Instead of melting in chocolate chips or using cocoa powder – i used hot fudge sauce to add the “chocolate” to this recipe. I did this because the chips – when hardened would turn my sauce into ‘fudge’ – and the cocoa was just a bit to powdery for the texture I was going for. I found that the fudge sauce combines with my homemade caramel recipe worked perfectly! So incredibly silky smooth.
Salted Chocolate Caramel Sauce
vegan, makes about 2 cups
3/4 cup soy milk (milk)
1 stick of vegan buttery spread (butter)
1 cup sugar
pinch of sea salt
2 Tbsp corn starch (you could also use arrowroot powder)
1/4 cup dairy-free fudge sauce (I used Santa Cruz brand)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon
1. Add cold milk to a small sauce pot. Add in corn starch and stir until dissolved.
2. Turn on the heat and add in the butter and sugar. Continue stirring over medium heat until the butter and sugar has dissolves/melted into the mixture. Keep stirring.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil – and keep stirring until it starts to thicken. Fold in the cinnamon, salt and vanilla – lastly, add in the chocolate fudge sauce. Stir for another minute and remove from heat.
4. Pour into a bowl and place in the fridge. The sauce should harden to a nice ‘caramel’ consistency in about 20-30 minutes. Pour into smaller bowls and place in freezer for even faster cooling. You’ll notice that in about an hour the sauce will get very thick. If you need to ‘loosen’ the consistency before serving – simply place in microwave for a few seconds to ‘ungel’ the texture.
5. Serve! Over ice cream cakes and more.