Crafts by Amanda.
Amanda’s Cookin’. I love to cook and bake and have tons of different utensils. They were taking over my drawer space and getting harder and harder to find, so I turned some old beanie baby boxes into fun kitchen utensil holders.
Note: While I did use my Silhouette machine to create the letters and pictures for these, you could certainly print them out on regular copy paper, spray them with clear matte sealer, cut them out and Mod Podge them on.
the template is here.
The font that I used was Lithos Pro, so you could recreate these in Word if you like. Here’s a PSD file with the clip art if you use Photoshop. I printed the designs onto vinyl and added them to the containers, being sure they were all lined up with each other. Once I had attached the vinyl I sprayed them with two coats of acrylic sealer (matte finish), allowing them to dry between coats. For the fabric liner, I simply cut strips of fabric from an old tablecloth and doubled them up using hot glue. Then I glued the doubled fabric to the outside, tucking the extra inside the containers. I added a simple piece of twine around the outside of the fabric and my utensil holders were complete!
I love the way they turned out. I hope that you like them too! They have been a great way to free up some drawer space and keep all my different utensils separate.
In case you aren’t familiar with Crafts By Amanda –
here are a few of Amanda’s awesome projects that I love:
If you want to make one of these or something similar, you will need:
an old clock
Vintage white acrylic paint
When the paint chips are dry, add a coat of acrylic matte finish spray sealer.
NOTE: You can see where I accidentally removed some of the Vintage White. That was from me trying to smooth the paint chips down on to the Mod Podge. That’s when I realized that I needed to add the spray sealer to the paint chips, to keep the crackled finish from peeling off. It worked out ok, made it look chippy where I made my oops :)
When it was completely dry, I put the mechanism back on the clock and hung it on the wall! I’m happy with how it turned out. hope you like it too!
So I showed Amy a picture I snapped on my cell phone about a week ago of the HOME sign you see above. See, I was at Michael’s with my daughter picking up a few craft supplies. Right next door there’s a Pier 1 Imports. They had all their Christmas ornaments on display so we decided to go in and have a look. Last year I did the same thing and was inspired to make this Santa’s Belly Ornament. They had one for sale there last year, so I made my own instead.
my rustic paintings and some shots of my store.
how to make old, rustic signs over at Funky Junk Interiors. I decided to follow her lead. I actually used 3 different colors for each of the letters, only duplicating one color along the way. That meant 7 different colors for this bad boy, so I made sure I took notes and sketched it out ahead of time.
Silhouette machine to cut out the letters on black vinyl first, then I measured one inch on either side of each letter.
The colors I used were:
E = Turner’s Yellow, Aspen Green, Vintage White
A = True Burgundy, Vintage White, Coffee Bean
T = Aqua, Terra Cotta, Vintage White
Next was the second coat, which needs to be a contrasting color. Because I wanted my sign to end up as light, dark, light, I also had to start that way. Therefore, the second layer was dark, light, dark, from left to right. Just dry brush it on, leaving some parts uncovered or not covered as heavily.
masking tape on the paint before it’s fully cured.
sander with a fine grit sandpaper to go over everything, pushing harder in some areas more than others. I also sanded all the edges and corners. I used a soft brush to get all the dust off.
Krylon Matte Finish sealer.
I realized after adding the silverware that I should have hammered a hanger to the back first. Oh well. Bugger. I’ll have to just be careful when adding the hanger, will tackle that after the kitchen wall is painted!
paper doilies but they aren’t as pretty and they are solid in the center, missing the lovely designs that real doilies possess. Because I only had a few doilies on hand, I only put them on one side of the jar, however you could place them on both sides if you like. They look lovely on their own or with a lit tea light glowing inside.
Burlap and Doily Luminaries
Adhesive spray (like Elmer’s Craft Bond)
Twine, buttons, and/or ribbon
adhesive spray. EDITED: A commenter, Peechee, suggested spraying the doily rather than the jar to avoid having dust particles etc cling to the glass where the doily doesn’t touch. I think that’s an excellent idea! I haven’t tried it myself, but would love to know how it works out if someone does try that. EDITED AGAIN: Have heard from another visitor that in fact spraying the doily works great!
Funny thing is I tried this project with paper doilies first and I DID spray the paper doily and then place it on the jar. No idea why I didn’t do that with the real doily. Duh! The only problem I could see would be that the doily might flop onto itself causing it to stick to itself. so maybe instead spray the doily, leave it on the table, then place the jar onto the doily!