AMICI

Votamiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

30 gennaio 2013

Guest Project — Turn plastic bins into Cool Kitchen Utensil Holders {and free printable}


Crafts by Amanda

Amanda’s Cookin’. I love to cook and bake and have tons of different utensils. They were taking over my drawer space and getting harder and harder to find, so I turned some old beanie baby boxes into fun kitchen utensil holders.
Note: While I did use my Silhouette machine to create the letters and pictures for these, you could certainly print them out on regular copy paper, spray them with clear matte sealer, cut them out and Mod Podge them on.
I started with these plastic beanie baby boxes (which of course I washed out first, yuck). My husband called me from work one day and asked me if I wanted a case of them that someone was getting rid of. Being the craft supply junkie that I am, I of course said yes! I apologize that I don’t have step by step photos. My camera batteries gave out on me in the middle of the project. The next step was to give them a quick spray with some primer to help the paint adhere to the plastic. Then I simply painted them with Vintage White acrylic paint. I ended up giving them a total of three coats, allowing them to dry an hour or so between coats. I did use the Silhouette, and if you would like to use it or edit it, the template is here.
The font that I used was Lithos Pro, so you could recreate these in Word if you like. Here’s a PSD file with the clip art if you use Photoshop. I printed the designs onto vinyl and added them to the containers, being sure they were all lined up with each other. Once I had attached the vinyl I sprayed them with two coats of acrylic sealer (matte finish), allowing them to dry between coats. For the fabric liner, I simply cut strips of fabric from an old tablecloth and doubled them up using hot glue. Then I glued the doubled fabric to the outside, tucking the extra inside the containers. I added a simple piece of twine around the outside of the fabric and my utensil holders were complete!
I love the way they turned out. I hope that you like them too! They have been a great way to free up some drawer space and keep all my different utensils separate.

In case you aren’t familiar with Crafts By Amanda – 
here are a few of Amanda’s awesome projects that I love:

Paint Chip Clock



This clock is one of my favorite projects. It’s a paint chip craft taken to a different level. There are some really awesome paint chip projects out there, but I was determined to come up with something a little different. That’s when crackle medium entered the picture and this paint chip clock was born!
I’ve had this rooster clock for quite a few years. It was one of those clocks you buy on a gift website or in a gift shop. Nothing special, but it was cute. However, it really didn’t fit in my decor anymore so I took it down from the wall and tucked it away in a cabinet in my craft room. Last week I had picked up a bunch of red toned paint chips from WalMart. I knew I wanted to make something with them, I just hadn’t decided what yet. Then one day it just hit me. The clock!
If you want to make one of these or something similar, you will need:
an old clock
paint chips
sand paper
crackle medium
Vintage white acrylic paint
paintbrushes
Mod Podge
antiquing gel
scrapbook paper
So I pulled out the clock, removed the mechanism and sanded down the face.
I laid out the paint chips across the front of the clock to make sure I had enough and that there would be enough to cover. I made sure to alternate the colors as well. I even changed them around a bit after taking this picture, positioning most of the dark colors toward the center. I was careful to keep them in the order that I wanted them as I laid them down on the work surface.
I really wanted to do something different. There’s a lot of awesome paint chip art out there, and they are all awesome, but I wanted mine to be a bit more unique. So I pulled out the crackling medium and gave each paint chip a thin coat.
When the crackle medium dried I added a coat of Vintage White. The beauty of this is that you don’t have to paint a base coat because the paint chips serve as the base coat! The crackle medium went to work and started “aging” the finish right away.
When the paint chips are dry, add a coat of acrylic matte finish spray sealer.
After the paint chip strips had dried for a while, I started in the middle of the clock and using some Mod Podge and a paintbrush attached them to the clock. I did not Mod Podge the top yet, just the side that attached to the clock.
NOTE: You can see where I accidentally removed some of the Vintage White. That was from me trying to smooth the paint chips down on to the Mod Podge. That’s when I realized that I needed to add the spray sealer to the paint chips, to keep the crackled finish from peeling off. It worked out ok, made it look chippy where I made my oops :) 
After attaching all the paint chips to the clock I let it dry a bit, then turned it over and used a box cutter to trim away the excess. I turned it face up again and trimmed away about an 1/8″ or so from the edge.
It was looking pretty cool so far, but I thought it needed something else…
So I thinned some antiquing gel with water and applied it with an old rag. I rubbed it on gently then wiped it off. I repeated this step in a few areas until I was happy with the result. I wasn’t completely sure how this would work since I had to add a coat of sealer to the chips earlier, but it worked like a charm.
I set the clock aside to dry for a while and went to work on the numbers. Unfortunately there’s something wrong with my Silhouette machine or I would have just cut the numbers with that. But since I couldn’t I just used a piece of scrapbook paper and printed reversed numbers on the back. They have to be reversed so that when you cut them out the colored side of the paper will have the numbers in the right direction.
After cutting out one of the numbers I realized that the numbers were blending with the clock colors rather than standing out. Easy fix! I pulled out the antiquing gel and used it to make the scrapbook paper darker. Paint on, wipe off.
It took a while to get all the numbers cut out!
I began by adding the numbers 3, 6, 9, and 12 with Mod Podge. I did add Mod Podge over the top of the numbers at this point.
Once all the numbers were in place, I gave the entire surface a good coat of Mod Podge.
When it was completely dry, I put the mechanism back on the clock and hung it on the wall! I’m happy with how it turned out. hope you like it too!


Distressed Eat Sign



As you know, I was a contestant in Round Two of Crafting with the Stars. Did you vote for this project? :) I still don’t know if I’ve made it to the next round as the polls closed right before I posted this. The theme for the second round was “paint” and we could pretty much do whatever we wanted! My first thought was to redo this bookshelf that I have, but it wasn’t really floatin’ my boat, if you know what I mean. Then I suggested to Amy, my fabulous star partner from Mod Podge Rocks, that I use some of the totally cool glitter paint she sent me. She liked the idea, but thought it better to leave that for a different day. I think that was a good choice! ;)

Pier 1 coat hook rack - taken on cell phone, sorry it's so crappy
So I showed Amy a picture I snapped on my cell phone about a week ago of the HOME sign you see above. See, I was at Michael’s with my daughter picking up a few craft supplies. Right next door there’s a Pier 1 Imports. They had all their Christmas ornaments on display so we decided to go in and have a look. Last year I did the same thing and was inspired to make this Santa’s Belly Ornament. They had one for sale there last year, so I made my own instead.
So anyway, Kristen and I were walking around checking out the ornaments and I was snapping pictures of the ones that I liked and thought I could duplicate. It was then that I noticed the employees watching me. Bahaha! Maybe they thought I was with the competition or something, haha! So we kept strolling through the store and I saw this cool, weathered looking rustic sign that spelled out “home”. Each letter had a key, the “O” had a keyhole. I loved it and knew I could replicate it.
When I told Amy that I thought an “EAT” sign for my kitchen with a similar design would be fun, she completely agreed! So that was it, we were all set. Almost. I haven’t painted anything rustic in several years. I used to paint a lot when I had my store, but that was several years ago. Here you can see my rustic paintings and some shots of my store.
I was a bit nervous to say the least. All I had to go by was this cruddy cell phone picture, but then I remembered seeing this great post by Donna on how to make old, rustic signs over at Funky Junk Interiors. I decided to follow her lead. I actually used 3 different colors for each of the letters, only duplicating one color along the way. That meant 7 different colors for this bad boy, so I made sure I took notes and sketched it out ahead of time.
Now that I had my idea, I needed a canvas. I wanted something really rustic. I live in a rural community, so it wasn’t hard to gather some wood from a farmer friend of mine. I chose that big mombo one, and man was it heavy! After brushing off all the dirt and crusty hay (yes, it was in an old hay wagon) I brought it inside and drew lines with a ruler where I wanted my letters to go. in order to get the right size, I used my Silhouette machine to cut out the letters on black vinyl first, then I measured one inch on either side of each letter.
Finally I was ready to actually start painting! :) Because hubby wasn’t home yet to cut this bad boy for me, I just went ahead and started painting. Figured we could just cut it later.
The colors I used were:
E = Turner’s Yellow, Aspen Green, Vintage White
A = True Burgundy, Vintage White, Coffee Bean
T = Aqua, Terra CottaVintage White

The beauty of painting something distressed is you can make mistakes and no one will ever know :) So the first step was to put on my first layer for each section. No perfection required here, just squeeze some paint out of the tube and spread it on with a paintbrush.
Next was the second coat, which needs to be a contrasting color. Because I wanted my sign to end up as light, dark, light, I also had to start that way. Therefore, the second layer was dark, light, dark, from left to right. Just dry brush it on, leaving some parts uncovered or not covered as heavily.
A cool distressing technique I learned from Donna’s post on creating old signs (above) was to use masking tape on the paint before it’s fully cured.
This will lift some of the paint, and in some cases, go all the way to the wood. Cool indeed. Don’t you love that hole in the wood too? Neato. :)
Now that there are two layers on each section, you will want to let it dry a bit so you can sand it. See, I didn’t actually do that. Duh. No, instead I went ahead and put my vinyl letters on and realized afterward that I should have sanded first. So needless to say my vinyl letters had lost a lot of stickiness by the time it came to painting over them. Ha! In case you are wondering why I used a reversed stencil technique here, it’s because I wanted to preserve the colors you see above in the actual letters, just like in the Pier 1 sign.
Now it’s time for the final coat on each section. I decided to use a piece of folded paper towel to apply the last coat. I wanted a dry application and all my brushes were wet. :-P I carefully went over each vinyl letter, being careful not to let them lift anywhere since I screwed up their sticky backing by removing them to sand. *sigh*
After getting all the top coats on I let it dry for a bit.
I removed the vinyl lettering and used a sander with a fine grit sandpaper to go over everything, pushing harder in some areas more than others. I also sanded all the edges and corners. I used a soft brush to get all the dust off.
Then I gave it a couple of coats of Krylon Matte Finish sealer.
To attach the old tarnished silverware (found at a thrift store) I used model glue. Worked like a charm. :)
I realized after adding the silverware that I should have hammered a hanger to the back first. Oh well. Bugger. I’ll have to just be careful when adding the hanger, will tackle that after the kitchen wall is painted!

http://www.craftsbyamanda.com/2010/11/distressed-eat-sign.html

Burlap & Doily Luminaries: Rustic meets Romance



Doilies are dainty. Candles are romantic. Burlap is rustic. Here I’ve combined all of them to make these pretty luminaries that would be great for a romantic Valentine’s Day meal or even as a wedding reception accent. Play around with different ribbons, buttons, twine and burlap while experimenting with various doily designs as well.
I found my doilies at the thrift store for about $0.35 each. I tried paper doilies but they aren’t as pretty and they are solid in the center, missing the lovely designs that real doilies possess. Because I only had a few doilies on hand, I only put them on one side of the jar, however you could place them on both sides if you like. They look lovely on their own or with a lit tea light glowing inside.
Burlap and Doily Luminaries
printable version
Glass jars
Adhesive spray (like Elmer’s Craft Bond)
Doilies
Burlap
Twine, buttons, and/or ribbon
Make sure your jars are clean and dry. Spray the jar with adhesive spray. EDITED: A commenter, Peechee, suggested spraying the doily rather than the jar to avoid having dust particles etc cling to the glass where the doily doesn’t touch. I think that’s an excellent idea! I haven’t tried it myself, but would love to know how it works out if someone does try that. EDITED AGAIN: Have heard from another visitor that in fact spraying the doily works great!
Funny thing is I tried this project with paper doilies first and I DID spray the paper doily and then place it on the jar. No idea why I didn’t do that with the real doily. Duh! The only problem I could see would be that the doily might flop onto itself causing it to stick to itself. so maybe instead spray the doily, leave it on the table, then place the jar onto the doily!
Place the doily onto the jar and position it, making sure it’s not bunched up anywhere. Press in place.
Spray the rim with adhesive, then wrap the jar rim with burlap.
You can also wrap the rim with pretty ribbon then tie a piece of twine around the rim as well. Tie them both in a bow.
Another option is to use the canning jar lid, then wrap that with twine or loose threads from your burlap. Thread two of the ends through a button and tie in a knot.

http://www.craftsbyamanda.com/2011/01/burlap-doily-luminaries-rustic-meets.html

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento