AMICI

Votamiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

11 febbraio 2013

Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake - Encore!


Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake 2

Does this look familiar? That's because you've seen it here. I made Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake this afternoon because I realised, horror of horrors, my Philly Cream Cheese was expiring next week!

Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake 4

I made 2 smaller cakes this time ... and almost had a kitchen disaster of epic proportions! My itsy bitsy teeny weeny oven couldn't accommodate the 2 cake tins comfortably! What was I thinking?!

I had to force the 2 tins in. It was such a delicate act manouevering cake batter in a hot oven. Sigh. Finally, I managed to balance one tin against the other on the rack, all these while allowing hot air to escape from my preheated oven. Thank goodness everything held in place for the baking. Phew, that was a close one!

Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake 3

I thought I'd show everyone the baby soft bottom of the cake ;)

I experimented not using a water bath. I was too lazy. I simply placed a tray of hot water at the bottom of the oven for some steam.

I did not use a loose base tin or springform, like I did previously, because I would have to wrap the bottom with aluminium foil to prevent seepage. I was too lazy. I used regular cake tins.

I did not line the tins with parchment paper. I was too lazy. I greased them generously, then floured them, and luckily, they unmoulded just fine.

Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake 1

One for me, one for you!

The eating though, made up for the near-kitchen disaster. The texture of this cake is out of this world. So soft and airy ... bliss at every bite!

Recipe here.

Notes from The Little Teochew:
 

1. Make sure you beat the egg whites till soft peaks form. This is critical.

2. I covered the tops with foil during baking to prevent browning. I only removed the foil towards the last 10mins. I also turned the temperature down, to about 140 degrees celsius so that the browning would be gentle and gradual. Know your oven. They all work differently.

3. I turned off the oven the moment the tops browned and left them in there for the next 20mins. After that, I left the oven door slightly ajar.

4. Turn the cakes out for cooling when the edges have separated from the sides of the tins..


http://www.thelittleteochew.com/2009/10/cotton-soft-japanese-cheesecake-encore.html 


Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake (For a Birthday)

Trust the Japanese to finetune and improve everything. Sometimes, reinventing the wheel does pay off. So you have cheesecakes and you have sponge cakes. Under the hands of the Japanese, these 2 cakes get married and voila! You get a Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake.

Photobucket

See how soft and spongy the texture is? Very unlike your regular cheesecakes, which are creamy and dense.I made this for my baby's first birthday. He turned ONE today. My baby is ONE!!! Was it not just yesterday I was getting ready to birth him??? Where did all the time go?

I usually like to eat this cake as is, but since this was a birthday cake, I decided to frost it with some fresh cream. What is a birthday cake if we don't have some cake decorations, yes?

Photobucket

Before frosting.

Photobucket

After some very simple frosting, imperfections and all ... because this was a birthday cake and I didn't want to risk destroying it with my lack of frosting skills. Yes, my third frosted cake in my entire life! But you know what, it gets easier each time ;)

This soft, cottony cake was a hit with everyone. Even after 2 slices, you don't feel bloated like you normally do with regular cheesecake. So, it was more than half gone after we ate it. The remainder, I shared with my nice neighbours.

To my baby son: "Happy birthday, my dearest! Wishing you many, many, many happy returns of the day."

Recipe

(adapted from Diana's Desserts)
- 140g fine granulated sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 50g butter
- 250g cream cheese
- 100ml fresh milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (I omitted this)
- 60g cake flour
- 20g corn flour
- 1/4 tsp salt

1. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler. Cool the mixture. Fold in the flour, the cornflour, egg yolks, lemon juice and mix well.

2. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whisk until soft peaks form.

3. Add the egg whites to the cheese mixture and fold well. Pour into a 8-inch round springform cake pan or removable-bottom cake pan (lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper). Wrap the base of your cake tin with aluminium foil, to prevent seepage ... although I never do, and it has never seeped! ;)

4. Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hour 10 minutes or until set and golden brown at 160 degree celsius.

My own observation:
5. Leave to cool in oven with door ajar, about 1 hour. Sudden changes in temperature may cause the cake to cool too quickly and collapse.

http://www.thelittleteochew.com/2009/09/cotton-soft-japanese-cheesecake-for.html

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento