42% fewer calories • 69% less sat fat • 55% more vitamin A than the original recipe—see the comparison. Warm yourself with a high-flavored twist on a cold-weather classic. Take further comfort in the added nutrition from red peppers and baby spinach.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges (1 cup)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (6 oz)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 can (14 oz) reduced-fat (lite) coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges, if desired
- In 4-quart nonstick Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in curry paste until melted.
- Stir in broth, chicken, brown sugar and salt. Return to heat. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In small bowl, stir cornstarch and water until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture and coconut milk to soup mixture; heat to boiling. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in spinach and cilantro. Cook about 1 minute, or just until mixture is hot and spinach is wilted. Serve soup with lime wedges.