50% less sugar • 77% less cholesterol fiber than the original recipe—see the comparison. No need to give up your scone splurge. Try these! We’ve cut out extra fat plus boosted nutrients with blueberries, oat, and flaxseeds.
- 2 tablespoons toasted, flaxseed*
- 11/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 6-ounce carton Yoplait® fat-free or low fat plain yogurt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 11/4 cups fresh blueberries
- Fat-free milk
- Rolled oats and/or flaxseeds (optional)
- *To toast flaxseeds, place in a small dry skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir until seeds are fragrant and begin to pop.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper; set aside. Place toasted flaxseeds in a spice grinder and pulse until ground to a fine powder.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground flaxseeds, flour, the ½ cup oats, the sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt and egg white. Gently fold in blueberries. Add yogurt mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into a 10-inch circle. Cut into 12 wedges.
- Place wedges 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with milk. If desired, sprinkle lightly with additional oats and/or flaxseeds. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.