Flavor combinations such as strawberry and rhubarb are classics for a reason--they taste great together! Enjoy them both in this elegant layered angel food cake.
- 1 box white angel food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- Red food color, if desired
- Frosting and Garnish
- 1 container (8 oz) fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- Move oven rack to lowest position (remove other racks). Heat oven to 350°F. In extra-large glass or metal bowl, beat cake mix, water and orange peel with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan. (Do not use fluted tube cake pan or 9-inch angel food pan or batter will overflow.)
- Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until top is dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry and not sticky. Do not underbake. Immediately turn pan upside down onto glass bottle until cake is completely cool, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix rhubarb, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the orange juice. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool 15 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups strawberries. Stir in 4 drops food color if deeper red color is desired. Refrigerate about 1 hour.
- Run knife around edges of cake; remove from pan. Cut cake horizontally to make 3 layers. Fill layers with filling. Frost side and top of cake with whipped topping. Arrange 1/2 cup strawberries over top of cake. Store covered in refrigerator.